Sunday 19 August 2007

Mark 3:13-19 He Appointed Twelve

I've been discipled lately. That's why no posts - actually I've been avoiding this post!

It worries me that I may be called to do "something" and frankly that is confronting.

Anyway back to my discipling... I won't bore you with the grimy details except to say that at church and work I've been 'chastened' three times in the last few weeks but I've learned three big lessons:

  1. Consult widely before changing things

  2. Don't speak in the heat of the moment

  3. Always speak kindly

I did the exact opposite to my list and got, deservedly, clobbered each time! I was comforted by that great verse in Revelation 3:19, spoken by Jesus, "As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten" God still loves me!!

Jesus has been so crowded that he had to have a small boat ready in case they crushed Him. But now He goes up the mountain and He called out the twelve He "wanted".

Mark says they responded to call, they "came to Him". Mark names the twelve and Jesus gives three of them (does He have favourites?) nicknames. Simon becomes Peter (a piece of rock) and James and John, the "Sons of Thunder".

Jesus wants a support crew to do exactly what He was doing; to carry on His preaching, healing and casting out of demons. He appoints them to these tasks. This is the real qualification for working for the Lord, that He has appointed us.

I love that word that Mark uses here for "appointed", in Greek it is poieo. According to my Strongs it means "to make or do (with very wide application)". The old KJV says "ordained", and that has been an emotive word too. But I know it best in haematopoiesis : the making of blood

This incredible process occurs inside our bones where haematopoietic stem cells can produce any of the three main types of blood cells. As each stem cell matures it changes in such a way that eventually it can only be a red cell or T cell or macrophage or any of the other cells that make up our blood. What it becomes is determined by need. If there is an infection, many more granulocytes are produced, if there has been a loss of blood then red cell production rises.

In the same way Jesus appointed these men to share His work, He could no longer do it all Himself. Actually, looking at the next few chapters there is lot more red ink. Jesus is able to preach more and tell parables, maybe the disciples are busy with the healing and casting out spirits.

That was what He needed then, does He still call and appoint those who answer the call? Does He need anything done in the world today? Am I being called? What will He "make" me into?

No comments: