Sunday 11 November 2007

Mark 4:3-9, 13-20 Let Him Hear

"Time and effort" I said in my last post, which was a long time ago as I have been living out this innocuous little time-bomb of a parable.

Jesus starts with the word "Listen!" then finishes with "he who has ears to hear, let him hear!" He starts the explanation with "Do you not understand this parable?" Obviously He is saying something important and he wants us to get the message.

Jesus is telling the people about His kingdom, a kindom built around our choices, not the choices of the King (in marked contrast to all political systems then and since). I love Van Gogh's "Sower with Setting Sun" as it seems to show the tranquility of this kingdom's origins but also the light touch of the Sower.

In a way Jesus is fulfilling the parable as He tells it, He is spreading the word, or the seed, into hearts. So the kingdom comes with words, ideas and stories. What we do with them is what the story is about.

There are four responses that listeners to the gospel can make:

  1. Dismiss it and let Satan keep it away from their heart

  2. Accept it gladly but don't let it take root. They have a superficial link to Christ, maybe they just can't submit totally to Him, maybe they just trust themselves too much and they are tripped up.

  3. Hear the word but don't spend any time in Scripture, busy with temporal things. Unlike the second group, which wither away, these people stay alive but they "yield no crop". They look alive but there is no fruit.

  4. Hear the word. Accept (receive, delight in) it, or, in contrast with the others, value it appropriately, grow closer to Christ, spend time in the word. These listeners bear lots of fruit, they fulfil the purpose Christ has in mind.

Yes... I feel very much like the seed among thorns I haven't been spending the time I should in the Word. I've been doing "good things" like working hard and arranging and carrying out my church and mission obligations, but I have not been doing the "best" things. In this parable Jesus indicates the best things are time spent in His Word and effort trying to understand or "hear" it.

Jesus is so keen I understand this parable because my response determines the quality of my Christian life and experience.

As I spend more time in Mark, expect more frequent posts. If you don't see them, please send comments to wake me up.

No comments: