Thursday 31 May 2007

Mark 1:29-31 In-house Healing

The five men go to Simon and Andrew's place for Sabbath lunch after an eventful morning.

"But"... just when things are going well there is a family illness to dampen the enthusiasm. Simon's mother-in-law lay sick with a fever.

Peter is married! Do we ever hear of his wife?

Fevers are still fatal and Mum is in bed so must be quite sick. Maybe even dying. This is family and it's important. "So they told Him about her". Do I take my problem people to Him? They had not seen Him heal fevers, they were expressing their faith - sight unseen. Just as I can't see the miracles either.

He "came and took her by the hand". Jesus please come near to me and take my hand and lift me up.

Suddenly the fever was gone and she served them. They either made the poor woman work or she was so completely well that service was easy. I think the latter.

So he has authority over acute illness too! He is good at fixing things up...making them right. he turns what could have been a bleak afternoon into one where joy of recovery leads to service.

Does my gratitude show itself as service to Jesus? Haven't I been healed from a worse "fever"? Shouldn't my gratitude and service be even greater?

No comments: